Sunday, 29 December 2013

WitchFinder

WitchFinder by Ruth Warburton:
London. 1880. In the slums of Spitalfields apprentice blacksmith Luke is facing initiation into the Malleus Maleficorum, the fearsome brotherhood dedicated to hunting and killing witches.

Luke’s final test is to pick a name at random from the Book of Witches, a name he must track down and kill within a month, or face death himself. Luke knows that tonight will change his life forever. But when he picks out sixteen-year-old Rosa Greenwood, Luke has no idea that his task will be harder than he could ever imagine

My Review: 

I was drawn into this rich historical fantasy. I truly enjoyed this more than I thought I would, considering the age group it was intended for and it is a slow start.

What I liked
The cover: It is absolutely stunning! The cover definitely drew me  to the novel. 
The characters: They had a lot of heart and were well well developed. I enjoyed learning their stories. Rosa was a pretty strong character after her experiences. 

Historical fiction with a touch of magic was a fascinating read! The descriptions about the era seemed very legitimate.

The plot was interesting.I thought it was unique how Luke could 'see' witches and wanted to get revenge for his parents' death. Also, it was interesting to see how Rosa's family dealt with their fall into poverty.  I thought the writing was great as well. 

What I didn't like

Her brother was a jerk. Even reminiscent of the era, it was still hard to read.

The ending: I was surprised, about certain revelations. In retrospect, it actually makes a lot of sense. I don't want to speak too much about it as to ruin it :) Also,
it is an open ending which probably means continuation. That excites me as I would love to see some of my questions answered. 



I think this is the perfect book for teens that enjoy historical fiction and stories about witches.

Disclosure: I received a free copy for review, as always this didn't affect my review. Thanks Netgalley! 

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm... I'll have to check this book out. I like historical fiction with magic involved!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete